Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Identity Crisis

flickr


I’m having an identity Crisis!

(And I don’t mean the one that occurred as my children transitioned to the public schools while my life’s work of home-education came to screeching halt.)

As long as I can remember, I have been taught that I am a child of God.  I learned it from my parents as we had family home evening and read from the scriptures.  I learned it in primary as the leaders went to great lengths to plant those seeds of faith in our young minds.  I learned it as society at large (although subtle, it was still there) had references to mankind being created in the image of God and through the lineage of Adam and Eve.  I learned it myself as I received the confirmation from the Holy Spirit whenever I heard these and other witnesses of this truth.  Prophets, seminary teachers, good neighbors, local ward members.  Everywhere is this underlining knowledge that there is a God and he is my Father. 

And to be honest, I thought I believed it.

That is until I realized that maybe I didn’t. 

If I truly believed that the great Elohim was my daddy – my life would be very different.  I wouldn’t have contradictory beliefs that I am not worthy or not enough or not valuable.  I wouldn’t even consider statements that appear to contradict this (or other divine truths) as carrying any weight at all.  There would be no addictions or character weaknesses.  My potential wouldn’t be viewed as limited nor would I struggle with scarcity mentality.  My religious experience would be rich and meaningful, never simply going through the motions.  I wouldn’t allow others, or myself, to treat me with disrespect. My self-talk would be positive, encouraging, and centered in truth.  And I wouldn’t feel trials and hardships are an injustice being played on me, nor would I ever feel abandoned or alone. 

Some might say that is simply part of the earthly, mortal experience.  I say it is simply a by-product of my lack of faith. No wonder the Savior said “Oh ye of little Faith”.   I have had faith to receive the witness of this truth and faith to profess it myself though maybe not enough faith to carry it over into application internally. 

The Vicar's view

My daddy IS the Great King and father of all Creation.  I AM worthy.  I AM enough.  I AM priceless.  My needs are met (no need for addiction) and I live a principled and virtuous life.  I have limitless potential and thrive in abundance.  I connect and am aligned with my daddy’s will, my Savior’s atonement, and my family’s hearts.  I embrace growth opportunities to become like him and I know He is always there. 

I’m confident that as I choose to increase my faith in this truth – I AM A CHILD OF GOD and increase my understanding of the nature of God as well as my own true eternal nature, then my identity crisis will be over and I can apply what I know to be true.