Friday, October 28, 2011

The Wheel Of Time - Week 1

This year I have been keeping busy doing one thing I am very passionate about.  Studying history.  When I asked myself if there was any class I wanted to teach for my kids at iFAMILY, I realized that I haven't given the deep foundation of history with my current love of learners as I did for the older ones - so I considered teaching it.  And as most of my teaching experiences, I am so pleased with the things that I am learning - breakthroughs in understanding, making connections, and simple increased appreciation for lessons learned from history. 

Even though the semester is almost over, I thought I would post the summaries and log what has happened in my class.  The very first day, I was somewhat concerned.  Aside from the fact that Aristotle had not yet completed constructing the Wheel for my class, I chose an introductory game - Timeline Trivia - that was way over the kids experience and ability to play.  I thought it would be a good one, because when I made the game in our home, it was such a hit, that they begged to play it frequently.   But with a classroom of 8 to 12 year olds who obviously don't have much exposure to history stories - let alone trivia - it was a bad choice for an introductory game.  I even lost two students who seemed the most promising. 

With the blank stares and impatient to leave fidgeting, I kept promising that next week would be more fun.  Not a promising beginning, but it gave me the determination to try something new for the next week.