Saturday, June 1, 2013

Courage Beyond My Own

Friends have always been pretty important to me and they came into my life pretty easily. So as I look at my children's friends status, I struggle to relate how they can perservere without friends.   

I remember Wilberforce, while growing up, thought she had a pretty good friend, only to find out her 'friend' was only a fair-weathered-friend and wouldn't associate with her in the company of certain other people.  I could see the pain as the realization of the betrayal hit home. 

I remember Shakespeare had a natural affinity toward friends outside the family and longed to be loved and cherished by others.  But one relationship after another ended only in tolerance - no connection, no bosum friend, sometimes even no civility.  I've watched her over the years sink further and further into her shell to protect her from the hurt she was experiencing. 

And then the other night Austen came home from Young Women's feeling for the first time in the last 5 years that she might be connecting a little with the Hamer girls.  She was happy, bubbly, and felt victorious.  Then the next day, as she was supposed to be picked up by these 'finally' friends - she watched them drive by our house to pick up another girl, then drive by again, but they never stopped.  They had forgotten about her.......again.  I could see the hope and happiness fade away as she realized her previous thoughts were misguided.  When she came and asked me to drive her to the activity that they were supposed to have picked her up for, I was taken a little aback by her courage.  She promised she would be at this activity, and so she was going to keep her word, even if her heart was breaking. 

Another disadvantage my children experience in the social world, is our location and life choices.  We've chosen to homeschool - so they don't get to see "friends" everyday at school.  We've chosen to live way out in the country - so they don't have neighbor friends either.  And we are limited as to how many times we can make trips into town - so once a week is all they get and it's a very busy day.  Yes, there are some serious social drawbacks to the life we've chosen. 

However, Wilberforce has become an eternal optimist.  She can always see the silver lining in every storm cloud.  She never joined the cliques and is equally friendly with the popular kids as well as the invisible people she encounters.  Shakespeare is everyday healing, pulling strength from way down deep to face her pain and overcome the obstacles that life has presented to her.  She is patiently waiting for the day and exercising faith that she will someday meet and enjoy a bosum friend.  Austen continually faces disappointment with courage and facing the heartbreak with hope and determination.  She believes everyone wants to be friends with her and moves forward with that belief. 

I'm sure when I experienced heartache growing up, that I eventually rolled up my sleeves and moved on with my life, but I can't help but feel that these amazing children with advanced trials and obvious strengths possess courage beyond my own.