Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wheel of Time - Week 7 - 3rd Century AD

When the wheel landed on the 3rd Century AD, I was surprised to find that there really wasn't much going on during that time period.  It really wasn't looking good for the Christians at least.  In America, the End of the Zion people takes place as the peace that prevailed for almost 200 years after Christ's visit is replaced with pride and separation.  In Rome, the Christians begin holding their meetings in the dug out Catacombs beneath the city so that they can not be persecuted for their beliefs. 

After discussing these events to the Students, we found a secret symbol that they would use if they were in the same predicament as the christians.  Since the story wasn't very long, I used the rest of the time playing a review game.  I had previously put each of the timeline pictures in a container and so had them take turns pulling one out.  If they could tell me the story just by looking at the picture, they got a point.  If they could tell me the century it occured, they got another point.  If they could tell me what country it occured, they got another point.  I used this opportunity to have them color the world map in the beginning of their timeline and to color code it with the timeline pictures.   Most of the kids did fairly well so that was like a pat on the back.