Wednesday, October 22, 2014

An About Face

I’ve been there.

I was carrying on a conversation, minding my own business (or so I thought), when all of a sudden, someone got right in my face.  My comments were challenged, my points were mocked and belittled, and I was even threatened to take it back or . . .  - and before I realized what was happening, I was shamed and cowered into a corner. 

My choices seemed limited at the time.  And unfortunately, I played the game – becoming super insecure and reverting into myself. 

I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was being bullied.  Pressured into doing, or saying, or thinking, or being something that wouldn’t have been my choice if I didn’t have that shaming influence. 


So when I listened to this address from Elder Robbins, I couldn’t help but grab the air and yank my elbow in.  Yeeeeessssss!!!!!



BAM!  He wasn’t sending artillery to the bully, but arming the bullied. 


The 1st weapon: Establish the “WHY”

If we are in this world to stand on our own premise, then by all means, go with whatever whim and philosophy that comes your way.  But if we are consecrated and dedicated disciples of Christ, as we covenanted to be – the decision is already made. 

I like to think of it as a self-elected representative.  What other government could an individual nominate themselves, cast all the deciding votes, and be their own check on abuses of power.   That’s what agency (free will) is.  Our own self-governing nation.  I voted myself to be a representative of the Savior.  And as His disciple, I represent Him to the people.  NOT the people to the Savior. 

I want to adopt the mantra “I do ALWAYS those things that please the father” as my ‘WHY’. 


The 2nd weapon: Recognize the game

Usually attacks occur because the ‘guilty taketh the truth to be hard

Because there are only two options on who we represent (Savior or Satan), it would be helpful to recognize the strategies used by the opposing team. 

1.        Mocking – It’s sad to realize that mocking, scorn, ridicule, fear, belittling, etc. are usually more effective, than love, acceptance, forgiveness, patience . . .   The other team uses peer pressure as a motivation. (See, I knew high school was Satan’s playground - JK)

2.       Twisting – Making evil look good and good look evil.  That’s a fairly easy strategy to identify. But when he warps or imitates our own strategies, such as love of men before love of God (inversion of priorities) or utilizing guilt to have us turn away from the right (guilt is used to turn us away from sin), it gets a little more fuzzy on which side we really are on. 

It’s kinda funny when you think about it.  The guilty are the ones spreading the guilt.  Bullies try to make one feel guilty for giving offense in regards to their choice - and the only suggestion they offer to relieve that guilt is to give offense to the Savior instead.  ‘Join the bandwagon of sinners in order to relieve your guilt of shaming me.’ Does oxymoronic carry any weight here? 

3.       Legislation – Yep, make it a law . . .  or at least petition for lower standards.  I wonder how many things I would have wrongly supported if I hadn’t learned about the proper role of government.  Satan loves to legislate his ideas into legality.  Almost any law will pass as long as it is “for the children” or “for the underdog” no matter how immoral or counterproductive it is.  The needs of the few become more important than the needs of the many or the needs of the right.  And before you know it, we’ve legislated our way into an apostasized nation. 


The 3rd Weapon:  Be Inspired!

Greatness is inspiring.  Look to the greats.  There are so many accounts of men and women throughout the ages who have stood up to the bullies they faced.  The scriptures are chock full of them.  And as you learn about, be inspired by, and begin to emulate these greats, it is amazing how empowered you become. 

Yes.  It takes courage to stand up to the bully.  And even more importantly, it takes character to stand up to the bully graciously.  But courage is the only antidote for the fear of men.  The strength of an individual - or the strength of a nation – is only in proportion to the unbending on matters of principle. 

Can it be done without giving offense?  Probably not.  It is hard to please God while not giving offense to Satan.  But it really doesn’t matter what the end result is as long as the defense (or representation) – is done IN LOVE.    

When one makes an about face, they turn or change the direction that they were facing.  And like so many of the Savior's teaching, his ways are a change from the direction the natural man is facing.  


So the next time a bully is IN YOUR FACE and you feel that you have to LOSE FACE in order to SAVE FACE, understand that is being TWO-FACED about the obstacle you FACE, and so instead, make an ABOUT FACE