Sunday, October 12, 2014

Seeking inspiration

Over the last couple of years, I’ve been writing occasionally, as power thoughts came to me.  A couple of friends on facebook would make a simple comment which for some reason would stick with me and I’d ponder on it for a length of time until I blogged what was occupying my thoughts.  There were times that I had more power thoughts than time to write about.  Lately, however, I’ve been having the desire to write (because I get so much insight from my own writing) but haven’t been able to identify anything that speaks or weighs on my mind at present.  I guess you can say I am without inspiration. 

So with my desire to continue my search for truth, I’m adapting my blogging to a different source of inspiration.  Maybe those power thoughts came so easily because they were gifted to me but now it’s time to stretch myself a little more by seeking them out.  I’m hoping to study each of the general conference addresses and ponder the message that I receive from it, enough to write about it.

   
The first address is not rich in doctrine or heavy with direction.  I guess it could be compared to the ‘State of the Union’ address given by the president of the nation.  Instead this is the ‘State of the kingdom’ given by the prophet of God. 

I find it significant that his welcome begins by relating the purpose for this world wide gathering –

Why would we gather?

It isn’t because we are all on the same bandwagon or political ideal, a bunch of fringees who like to hear someone speak in our language and our own ideas.  It’s not any type of sales presentation where they are selling an idea, concept, or product.  It’s not really a duty to listen to those that preside over us, such as the royal decrees from a king or military instructions, or even our elected officials.  It’s not like a seminar or convention where you go to the class of your own picking and choose from the ideas presented on how you might try to improve your life. 

It is a gathering of the saints (those who have covenanted with their father) from all over the world (all of his children) to listen and learn (those that have ears, let them hearken and heed) to those whom we sustain (promise to support and follow their counsel) and receive the inspiration they’ve been given for us (revealed messages specifically for this time and this people). 

What a glorious purpose!  

Then there is the summary aspect of the kingdom.  Brief but encouraging.

The prophet takes the time to express gratitude for the progress and privileges granted us in this time.  From the beginnings when conference could no longer reach all its members and how that has changed with the advanced technologies of radio, television, cable, satellite, internet, and now personal devices.  We truly are blessed to have everything available instantly.  When you consider that King Benjamin’s tower and hand written transcripts were remarkable solutions for the masses that could not hear him, to the availability of God’s word through the prophet, today – it is difficult to not feel gratitude.  And of course, our prophet is leading the way in how to observe and express that appreciation.

Not only do we have access to the prophet’s voice, he points us to the temple.  Temple dedications, rededications, and construction progress keep the vision of where we are to look and stand.  With 170 temples in (near) operation, I can see the foundation being laid for the work that we are to engage in. 

In keeping with the growth of technology and temples, the membership of the church continues to increase as the stone cut out of the mountain rolls forth.  15 million really isn’t much when compared to the billions of people on the earth, but when compared to the 6 members that the church began with only less than 200 years ago, it is quite impressive.  I wonder how that growth compares with Christianity as a whole or any of the other world religions. 

I’m trying to remember a statistic, but I may be waaaaay off.  I believe back in 1999, there were only about 15,000 missionaries.  I recall being friends with someone who was interested in comparing Mormons against Christians.  They were impressed with the number of youth who volunteered to serve.  Now the missionaries are over 88,000, my daughter being one of them, and another daughter in preparation.  I can see how the Lord is in earnest, sifting out those who hear from those who choose to be deaf. 

The major counsel given during this address is the invitation to pay attention.  Like a mother or teacher encouraging a child to pay attention so that we won’t miss something that will be of value to us later.  Some important skill or knowledge will be available, if we but choose to catch it.  He closes his remarks with the desire that our hearts will be touched and our faith increased.  It is my hope that in pondering, evaluating, and blogging about conference, that his desire will come to fruition.