Sunday, August 14, 2011

School on the Moon



I don't know how many times we've driven straight past it in the last twenty plus years, but this time we stopped. I remember going to Craters of the Moon for a grade school field trip and although I didn't really get anything memorable out of the experience, I always assumed we'd stop there as a family so my home schooled kids could have the same experience. And since it was between my home and my extended family on the other side of the state, we had plenty of opportunities that we didn't have to plan a special excursion. But usually we were pressed for time to visit relatives and exhausted and eager to get home on the way back.
So this time on our way to family camp, I promised myself that we would stop on our way back. After all, my oldest daughter IS 19 years old - she's not getting any younger. Even though it was raining, and we were exhausted and filthy after four days of camping, I pulled into the visitors center. After using the restrooms, and browsing at a few displays in the corridor, we worked our way into the gift shop. BOOKS! All my kids found something they found interesting and explored to their hearts content. Eventually we continued walking into the rest of the visitor's center displays and watched a few documentaries, read several plaques, and pointed out things on the displays. As we learned the history of the site, my kids questioned the scientists calculations when the lava flowed based on the inconsistency with the scriptures or how it might compare with events in history (such as the earthquake that happened when Christ came to America). I was impressed as my children were well versed in much of the concepts, plants, and wildlife that were depicted, as they had a relationship with it.
Soon we were invited to listen to a ranger give a presentation regarding Craters of the Moon. I was able to listen for a short while before my two year old lost interest and wondered off. After this the kids asked to learn more by watching another documentary. By now, I was tired and wanted to get the rest of the journey behind me, so we decided to postpone going on the trail for another day when I wasn't carrying an infant and it wasn't raining.
I think it's impressive the stamina my children have for learning. I know that when I was a kid - I was so anxious to leave and what I did have to sit through - I tolerated because I did my duty. But my kids seem to actually enjoy learning this stuff. I love homeschooling.