Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Dollar Well Spent




I love 'Les Miserables'. I love that my mother had a relationship with it. I love the story line and its depiction of the transformation of the soul. I love the movie and in concert. I would love to actually go see it in live concert with my husband and older children. And I'm planning to actually read the unabridged book (one of these days). I was shocked to find out that Victor Hugo was not part of the Great Books.


So when I saw the sheet music for 'Les Miserables' at the DI for only $1.00, I quickly grabbed it and put it in the cart. Granted, it was only treble cleff, and the notes were huge, but I didn't care - I don't play the piano anyway (even though I took lessons all throughout my childhood). I would love to have access to the words to all the songs. I knew Wilberforce wanted the real sheet music but it was the best I could do.



For the past three days, not only has Wilberforce been tinkering around on the piano, but Shakespeare, Austen, and even Hypatia have consistently been fine tuning their rendition of these simplified masterpieces. I've been loving it. Our house is full of music and singing.



So often I buy a super expensive book or curriculum hoping to inspire my children to fall in love with the subject - but true to form - it's my passion and relationship with the subject that has inspired them. It was a dollar very well spent.